In the earlier days of Facebook, if a user “Liked” a business page, that page’s posts typically showed up in the follower’s news feed. Then Facebook went public…and things changed. Facebook altered their news feed algorithm and introduced advertising for business pages. Businesses then had to advertise (“boost”) their posts in order for them to show up in more than a small percentage of their followers’ news feeds. Compelling, engaging content also became more important than ever — users who engaged the most with a page were more likely (but not guaranteed) to see more of that page’s posts in their news feed.
Now there is a new Facebook feature just introduced in the U.S. called “See First.”
As a Facebook user, it gives you much more control over what you’re seeing in your Facebook news feed by allowing you to prioritize which friends and pages you’d like to see updates from first. No more missing posts from your favorite friends and pages!
As a business owner or nonprofit leader with a business Facebook page, it gives you an opportunity to ask your followers to “See First” you…getting more of your great content in front of those who want it.
Here’s how it works:
On Your Computer
1) Go to the business or organization’s page you like (such as Thrive PR)
2) Go to the box where it says “Liked” with the thumbs up icon
3) Hover over that box and then click “See First” so you’ll be sure to see that page’s posts in your news feed. That’s all!
On Your IOS Device
(note: this feature should be available on Android devices very soon)
1. Make sure you have the most recent version of the Facebook iPhone app installed
2. Open the app and click “More” on the bottom right of the screen
3. Scroll down to “Settings” and click “News Feed Preferences”
4. Then, click “Prioritize Who to See First”
5. Finally, click on all friends and pages (like Thrive PR) you’d like to see at the top of your feed
Facebook changes often, so stay tuned for further tweaks or changes to this new app. Click here to subscribe to our enewsletter.